Despite the disasters that happen so frequently these days, tsunamis, earthquakes, floods, and tornadoes, there often exist those aspects of courage, kindness, and the miraculous where, even against all odds, perseverance wins out and the heart is warmed and inspired. We sometimes forget, however, that animals also suffer in these calamities, made worse by their dependency. Surviving, they oten find themselves without their human families, with slow starvation or death by exposure their ultimate prospect. A lucky few, all too few, find rescue through dedicated teams of animal relief organizations. And a very few make it on their own. Let me share with you by way of You Tube the story of a little terrier in Alabama who did just that, becoming a symbol of hope for human sufferers as well.
- Follow Brimmings: up from the well on WordPress.com
- 22,417 hits
- Elegy for Iris: A Review
- My hummingbird friends
- NFL Hypocrisy
- Love for All Seasons
- Baseball’s Decline
- The Left’s War on Free Speech
- Reflections on the 2017 Philip Larkin Exhibition at Hull
- Perhaps Someday We Will Learn How to Live
- America’s Unofficial Poet Laureate: Mary Oliver
- On First Looking Into Milford’s Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay
- Sarah Teasdale: “There Will Come Soft Rains”
- Is Mindfulness Warmed-over Buddhism?
- She showed us the way: Reflections on Mary Tyler Moore
- Book fan, Barack Obama
- Happiness: What it is and How to Find It
- Tibet’s Tragedy: A Culture Teetering into Oblivion
- Weighing-in: Reflections on 2016
- Does the Electoral College Have a Future?
- Teach me to measure all my days
- Solace for the Hard Places: Jeffers, “Shine, Perishing Republic”
- You have every right to be afraid!
- Open the door and come right in….
- Introducing my hummingbird friends…
- Leap Frogging
- Live Longer Now
- On Reading Rebecca Mead’s My Life in Middlemarch
- Revisiting George Eliot’s Middlemarch
- New England Memories
- Memorial Day: “Neither shall they learn war any more”
- Before Surgery Reading: Herriot’s All Creatures Great and Small