Retired English prof (Ph. D., UNC) who enjoys blogging; Twitter; studying languages, especially Spanish. I’m drawn to positive, compassionate people who, while earnest, are always tolerant. Am committed to justice and a better world. A vegan, I sometimes hug trees! My intent is to write polished posts, or essays, 2 or 3 times weekly on virtually all subjects, perhaps upgrading or adding individual pages later to focus on some of my favorite interests such as environment, health, and language acquisition. I try to always write truthfully as I see things, at the same time realizing not everyone’s going to agree, and I’m comfortable with that, knowing another opinion sometimes serves as a helpful corrective.
- Follow Brimmings: up from the well on WordPress.com
- 21,257 hits
- Reflections on the 2017 Philip Larkin Exhibition at Hull
- Perhaps Someday We Will Learn How to Live
- America’s Unofficial Poet Laureate: Mary Oliver
- On First Looking Into Milford’s Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay
- Sarah Teasdale: “There Will Come Soft Rains”
- Is Mindfulness Warmed-over Buddhism?
- She showed us the way: Reflections on Mary Tyler Moore
- Book fan, Barack Obama
- Happiness: What it is and How to Find It
- Tibet’s Tragedy: A Culture Teetering into Oblivion
- Weighing-in: Reflections on 2016
- Does the Electoral College Have a Future?
- Teach me to measure all my days
- Solace for the Hard Places: Jeffers, “Shine, Perishing Republic”
- You have every right to be afraid!
- Open the door and come right in….
- Introducing my hummingbird friends…
- Leap Frogging
- Live Longer Now
- On Reading Rebecca Mead’s My Life in Middlemarch
- Revisiting George Eliot’s Middlemarch
- New England Memories
- Memorial Day: “Neither shall they learn war any more”
- Before Surgery Reading: Herriot’s All Creatures Great and Small
- A favorite poem: William Carlos Williams’ “Spring and All”
- The war on cancer: New treatments lock-out most of us
- On finding a new booklist quarry
- Apple vs. the FBI: How Money May Decide the Issue
- Brimmings: Five Years and Counting
- Macdonald’s H is for Hawks: Finding Passage