Retired English prof (Ph. D., UNC) who enjoys blogging; Twitter; studying languages, especially Spanish. I’m drawn to positive, compassionate people who, while earnest, are always tolerant. Am committed to justice and a better world. A vegan, I sometimes hug trees! My intent is to write polished posts, or essays, 2 or 3 times weekly on virtually all subjects, perhaps upgrading or adding individual pages later to focus on some of my favorite interests such as environment, health, and language acquisition. I try to always write truthfully as I see things, at the same time realizing not everyone’s going to agree, and I’m comfortable with that, knowing another opinion sometimes serves as a helpful corrective.
- Follow Brimmings: up from the well on WordPress.com
- 24,947 hits
- Thoughts on a remarkable book I’ve just re-read
- Trophy Hunting Looms for Grizzly Bears
- Amy Lowell’s “A Fixed Idea”: An Exploration in Paradox
- Artificial Intelligence: Will It Take Your Job?
- Alzheimer Breakthrough? Bredeson’s The End of Alzheimer’s: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline
- Does American Sign Language (ASL) Have a Future?
- Does the Qur’an Preach Violence?
- Elegy for Iris: A Review
- My hummingbird friends
- NFL Hypocrisy
- Love for All Seasons
- Baseball’s Decline
- The Left’s War on Free Speech
- Reflections on the 2017 Philip Larkin Exhibition at Hull
- Perhaps Someday We Will Learn How to Live
- America’s Unofficial Poet Laureate: Mary Oliver
- On First Looking Into Milford’s Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay
- Sarah Teasdale: “There Will Come Soft Rains”
- Is Mindfulness Warmed-over Buddhism?
- She showed us the way: Reflections on Mary Tyler Moore
- Book fan, Barack Obama
- Happiness: What it is and How to Find It
- Tibet’s Tragedy: A Culture Teetering into Oblivion
- Weighing-in: Reflections on 2016
- Does the Electoral College Have a Future?
- Teach me to measure all my days
- Solace for the Hard Places: Jeffers, “Shine, Perishing Republic”
- You have every right to be afraid!
- Open the door and come right in….
- Introducing my hummingbird friends…